Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

And here is another 'Sometimes' that has been playing in my mind during all the recent Holidays. It was going to be my Happy Thanksgiving Day card but it works just as well as a Happy Valentine's Day thought.

Years ago, my roommate of two cities, Don, taught me this song which we would harmonize on in the kitchen(s) and we even sang it at his brother's Annapolis wedding. I'd never known it to be performed and even had the composer wrong though I think the story is the same. If I'm correct now, Henry Mancini's little daughter wrote this slightly awkward though touching poem for her father and left it for him on his piano. He set it to music. (I've been telling people for years it was Andre Previn and daughter) Anyway, just Googled and discovered that my head must have been turned when the Carpenters performed it. They have a lovely version on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1ptfnX3nY

Let Karen sing it to you....and thank you for being my Valentine :)



SOMETIMES

Sometimes, not often enough,
We reflect upon the good things
And those thoughts always center around those we love.

And I think about those people
Who mean so much to me
And for so many years
Have made me so very happy.

And I count the times I have forgotten to say,
"Thank You", and just how much I love them.


-Mancini & Mancini-

No comments: